Films I've watched in 2022

Watched a few films this year, new and old, thought I'd do a blog about which I'd recommend and which I wouldn't.  I won't be adding every single one, some I've started watching and had enough of and turned off, others I've tuned out of if they didn't full hold my attention so wouldn't be fair to review! Will update as the year goes on. 

Comedy

Wanderlust (Netflix)

A nit of a daft modern comedy starring Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston about a couple that find themselves living in a hippy commune bringing strain to their relationship.  Certainly not a classic in any way, but it was okay as something light to watch one evening and had its moments. Despite liking Anison and Rudd, it's nowhere close to up there with my favourite comedies or anything, just a bit of sillyness.

5/10

Horror

Scream (cinema)

As a fan of the original trilogy (4th was meh! I have a box set of the first 3 so it's a trilogy to me...) I was excited but cautious about this, especially with the loss of Wes Craven.  Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the originals.  It was great to see the original cast return, but I felt that the acting from the newer members wasn't always great, and the writing could be questionable... it felt a bit lazy to return to narratives and locations from the first film really rather than nostalgic. So, yeah, disappointing one. 

4/10

Freaky (Now)

I saw the name and poster thumbnail of this and instantly got that they were going for a spin on the classic Freaky Friday body-swap plot, this time with a high school girl an older man who happens to also be a serial killer.  I thought it would be more comedy than horror given the concept and thumbnail, but after the first ten minutes it was clear it was going for the other way around.  I suppose in the same way that Scream is a horror franchise but doesn't take itself too seriously, it felt more like that level of 'comedy'  (maybe apart from later scenes with Vince Vaughn in character as teen Millie which definitely always felt like more comedic scenes). Again, bit daft, or well very daft, but at least it took a much repeated concept and made it more original!

5/10


Romance

All My Life (Now)

I saw the trailer for this when it was first released, I think it just came up on youtube.  Just the trailer alone made me well up. Working in the wedding industry myself, the concept of a young couple getting married knowing one of them hasn't got long left was so sad, then seeing that it was based on a true story.  I wasn't familiar with any of the actors, which can be a plus as it makes you see them just as their characters and for the narrative to feel more believable.  Knowing the plot going into it, and the fact it was based on real people, definitely gave more weight and emotion to the film.  It's not got any crazy grand gestures or over the top-ness as a whole in line with some things you expect from a rom-com, it's more grounded. 

The scene where he meets her with the dog :( From there in particular be prepared for the emotions!

It does make you think about how precious life is. Collect moments as then your days will never blur. <3

7.5/10


Drama

Boiling Point (Netflix)

A realism/natural feeling little film set in a working kitchen with an almost documentary feel. Starring Stephen Graham, it follows a head chef and his workers in mostly real-time situations. Primarily set in one location and following one night dealing with a mix of clientele, it has a gritty feel that really puts you in their environment and feeling what they have to go through, whether it's being reprimanded by the boss or being talked down to by restaurant guests.  It's no big action blockbuster obviously, or particularly exciting, but I enjoyed it for what it is and I think it's authentically done, with very good acting, I enjoyed it. Probably not the sort of film you'd see more than once but worth a watch!

7/10

Her (Netflix)

An older one but I remember it being talked about a fair bit. Definitely a strange little film but interesting! If you aren't already familiar with the concept, it's about a man (Joaquin Phoenix) who has recently gone through the end of a long term relationship and has developed a new one with an AI which is just a disembodied voice (originally filmed with Samantha Morton cast but after filming they recast her and dubbed it with Scarlett Johansson, seems unfair on Morton?).  It's an interesting concept, different and worth a watch.  It's also aesthetically pleasing with cool cinematography and styling. 

6/10


Action

The Batman (cinema)

I'd been looking forward to this since we saw it filming in Liverpool and I'm happy to say it didn't disappoint.  It was a long one, but didn't feel like it, which is always a sign of good writing, it didn't drag. The characters were cool, acting was good (Colin Farrell was so unrecognisable), the visuals, the tension.  The music/score really added to the atmosphere of it too. All in all it was a really good Batman film, and as someone that hasn't been the biggest fan of modern day ones, it was good to go see one that I particularly enjoyed.  

8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sad Journal Part 2

Sad Journal

Questioning